Prof. N. L. Mitra received his M.Com, LL.M. and Ph.D. from Calcutta University. He holds certificate in Human Rights from International Institute of Human Rights, Strasbourg, France. Prof. Mitra has been formerly the Vice-Chancellor of National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore (1997-2001 and National Law University (NLU), Jodhpur (2001-2004). He has been the Chairman of several important Government of India Committees and has advised Reserve Bank of India and other important bodies. He is also member of NLIUO’s Governing Council and Executive Council and thus supervises all their academic and administrative activities.
Prof. N. L. Mitra, M.Com, LL.M., PhD (Calcutta University); Certificate in Human Rights (Strasbourg, France) is former Vice-Chancellor of National Law University, Jodhpur and National Law School University of India, Bangalore.
He is a life member of Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), Member of India Law Institute (ILI), former member of the Executive Committee of Common Wealth Legal Education Association (CLEA) and Member of the Legal Education Committee of Bar Council of India (BCI)
- Member of Legal Advisory Committee- SEBI
- Member of the Patent and Copyright law Reforms Committees under Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of HRD respectively
- Member of the Banking Law Reform Committee in 1999- 2000
- Member of the curriculum development committee of the American Bar Council
- Member of the Bar Council of India
- Chairman of Legal Education of the Bar Council of India
- Advisor to the Governor of Reserve bank financial sector reforms
- Advised the Ministry of Agriculture on Agricultural Marketing Model Act
- Advised Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, ministry of Commerce and Industries Ministry of Women and Child Welfare and Ministry of Environment
- Headed the Committee to Bankruptcy and Financial Fraud
- Headed the civil action group of post Earthquake Committee in Ahmedabad
- Head a committee constituted regarding suicide in Karnataka
- Headed many UGC Committees as one of the senior most Vice-Chancellor
- Piloted the World Bank environment project for India during 1998-2000
- Developed the present education policy of Bar Council of Indian including its regulations
- Drafted many of the SEBI regulations
- Head a One man committee for legal reform on security exchange board of India
- Participated in the drafting of bills on Information Technology
- Advisor, IIT Kharagpur, RGSOIPL
- Guest Faculty of some Foreign Universities.
Professor Mitra has authored a number of projects, and monographs, including some for the Union Ministry of Commerce, New Delhi. He has been one of the visionaries of GNLU.